Hi, my name is Joanne Horn. I started Second Half Connections to celebrate the second half of life as a gift. Rather than simply a trajectory of decline, the years of our second half provide an opportunity to synthesize and share with our families and communities the meaning and direction of our lives.
Joanne touts "LIFE LEGACY" on The Mary Jones Show.
Where have we come in these 50 or 70 or 90 years? Who are we? What is our place in the fabric of our families and our communities? What is the bounty we've collected over a lifetime of joy and heartache amid the adventure and tedium of our journey thus far?
I invite you to choose the following workshops and discussion groups to explore answers to these questions and share your experiences and insights to promote new learning and creativity in the second half of your life.
- Introduction to Life Stories: 3-week series to explore significant memories and experiment with writing about them.
- Guided Autobiography Workshop I: an 8-10 week series during which participants use a life theme to organize their memories, write a story, and share their writing within a small group of peers.
- Guided Autobiography Workshop II: The Making of Me, Myself, and I an 8-week series that follows in the tradition of GAB I, but students explore themes of the essential questions of self-development and practice in-depth narrative writing skills.
- NEW! Guided Autobiography Workshop III: Putting It All Together is the coaching and practice of advanced writing skills to integrate life stories developed in GAB I and II.
- Crafting Our Stories 6-week class - learn to shape your life writing into the story format of narrative arc.
NEW! Workshop Your Wrtiting: Getting Constructive Feedback to Improve Your Writing: a 6-week workshop in which participants share their writing and receive specific feedback from their peers and the teacher. Participants choose writing topics they want feedback about such as use of scene, transitions, word choice and sentence structure among many others.
- Life Legacies: What Have You Received; What Might You Give? An interactive workshop in which participants use writing, drawing, and discussion to explore gifts from their ancestors, reflect on what they value about their lives, and contemplate legacies they wish to pass forward to their family. This workshop is offered in two formats: a 2-hour introductory format and an 8-hour in-dpeth format.
- Notes on Life's Second Half Facilitated discussions exploring the meaning and opportunity of our later years.
- Managing Life Transitions is a 1.5 hour class that helps participants manage their response to major life changes. Class members work together using their own experiences to explore the three internal transitions that allow us to traverse the territory between what has ended and the new beginnings we seek. Managing Life Transitions can also be a one-hour presentation.
These workshops are available at community colleges, churches, social and community groups, and retirement and residential settings. Current schedules are shown on the linked pages. If you would like to sponsor one of these classes, please contact us.
North Seattle CC
King County Libraries
Kirkland Senior Center
Seattle First Baptist Church
UW Retirement Assoc.
Nest Community in Seattle
Crista Senior Living
Skyline First Hill